Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Reading Disease & Ground Hogs

Don't you just hate when it is too cold to stick any part of your skin from beneath a blanket? It seems we've had temperatures like that lately so I've just been curling up with a few good books. I joined our library's winter reading club. You read and make entries on a bingo card. The first bingo puts you in for the monthly prize drawing of $20 certificate to area businesses. The second bingo gets you an ice scraper and another entry for the monthly prize drawing. Fill the whole card and you are in the drawing for $50 certificate to an area restaurant. I will say that this has made me read things that I normally would not even pick up. Some good and some not so good. Herein lies my problem - I somehow feel that I must finish a book if I start it. I always continue hoping that it will get better. Sigh! I just lost half a day doing that. (but I got my bingo space for an award winner filled :P ) Most of the books though have been page turners which is why I haven't gotten any stitching done.

I have a mother who is a ground hog nut! Don't ask me why, she just is and she is quite adamant that Boureguard Lee is the only and best prognosticator there is. Personally, like weathermen there is one suited for every region. I decided to surprise my mom with a groundhog cookie cutter this year. I found the exact recipe that those folks in Philadelphia use and have laminated a copy of it to use with her new cookie cutter. I wanted to give it a little flair, but since my region doesn't have a notorious mammalian prognosticator I decided to make what we shall call the
Rockford groundhog cookie special. I got this idea from the Gourmet Mom on the Go. Now my big dilemma is how to get these little buggers packaged on up and delivered safely through the ole US mail. I know I'm going to give the package a litte "foofing" from the Foof Queens.
Back to figuring out how to package these little cuties. I was planning on making a few for my family closer to the day, however, my son has discovered the thin mints and is constantly asking if he can have 'just one'. My next hurdle to overcome will be to sit tight until they arrive. I'll be dying to know how she reacts and will probably be calling every day. Hopefully, I can sit tight and not give anything away!!

Cheers,

3 comments:

Pumpkin said...

That's a really good idea with the books although, like you, I would feel I had to read the whole book even if it was a bad one.

SO CUTE! What a great idea :o) I hope they arrive safely.

stitcherw said...

Very cute groundhog cookie, your mom is going to love her surprise package.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, what a CUTE cookie!!!!

Your library bingo contest sounds like fun. I used to be like you and have to finish a book if I started it. Somehow I don't feel that way anymore. If I'm not enjoying it after giving it a good try (say 100 pages), I'll quit and not feel guilty about it.