Monday, March 09, 2009

More finishing and a lingering bother coming to light

Since I've been taking this quilting class, I've caught the sewing bug. I found a simple pattern for a tissue cover and I decided that it didn't look too hard. I was actually amazed at how easy it was. So after a practice piece, I went out and got some Laurel Birch fabric to make one for my DMIL. She loves Laurel Birch and had a birthday on the 4th. I know it is late. We've been trying to get together, but somebody in my family has been sick for the past month. Since she is getting her present late anyway, she'll never know that I made this goodie to go with it late too. 8)

Another plus to getting bitten by the sewing bug is that I've been making progress on finishing off some of my stitching pieces that just need to be finished. I did this little tuck pillow to hold a preface piece that I did in a Betsy Stinner class ages ago. I love the pastels and for some reason it took me forever to find a fabric that I liked for it. Of course, I don't haunt the fabric stores the way I do stitching shops!


Because I've been doing more sewing this week, I haven't gotten in as much stitching as I would have liked. I did finish off the picnic square in Red Thread and made a bit more progress on my BRD piece. I've been doing a bit of frogging on the BRD and I'm afraid that I have a bit more to do. I've always loved the flag because the red in it just seemed to pop. However, the flag has always bothered me. I was worried that the colors just weren't right. Well, I kept surpressing this thought because that red really did make the piece pop. I finally looked up the flag of Ireland and it is green, white, and ORANGE. Ugh, now that I knew this I just couldn't leave the red in. Fortunately, it was a small spot that was easily frogged. I miss the pop of the red, but I feel so much better that it is correct. The orange does pop a bit too. My next little insecurity is that the celtic cross doesn't show up enough. I'm thinking of frogging it and coming back with a strand of the current color plus a strand of grey (413, 414, 415 range). I may try a stitch or two on some other fabric to see if I like it before I totally tear out the cross.

Well, it is off to do Monday chores and to check the job boards to see if there is anything worth applying to. Take care and enjoy the sun.

Cheers,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Irish project looks great.

Could you backstitch the cross to make it "pop" a little. That would save frogging it out.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Well look at all your lovelies here :) Your St. Pat's gameboard is coming along gangbusters! I love the tissue cover...and the fabric for the tuck pillow is perfect for the design! Good going you!

stitcherw said...

The tissue cover is really cute, and your tuck turned out great. Nice progress on Luck, I think I need to get moving on mine again now Joy is done or you'll be done way before me.
Sue

Sharon said...

Cute projects-I love the Laurel Burch tissue cover.

Siobhán said...

I love your sewing projects! Your Irish gameboard is beautiful, too. Want me to make you even more crazy?! The Irish consider their flag to be green, white and GOLD. It looks orange, I know it as well as I know Old Glory, but they say green, white and gold. Go figure. And because I am full of trivia, just thought I'd say that green, white & red is Italy's flag. I think. Anyway, it looks great!

Lucy said...

oh, I like the little tissue cover!!

Pumpkin said...

Wow, you have been bitten by the sewing bug! LOL! Both jobs well done :o) I really miss my sewing machine :o(

Kim, you are too funny! If you're happier with the changes, than why not make them?

Stitchingranny said...

Glad you had a great time at your retreat and also that you won a prize.

Lots of nice things growing in your blog and i love the littel tuck pillow you made - the stitched piece in it is so pretty.