Sunday, March 29, 2009

Back from camp update

I haven't done much stitching as of late as I've had a 2 and 5 yr old to chase around. A friend of mine who usually watches them had a masectomy so I said that I'd watch them for her while she recuperated. What was I thinking? I think I'm getting a bit too old to be chasing a two yr. old. At that age they just don't have the attention span to do much of anything. Or remember anything for that matter - get that out of your mouth! Thankfully, I had camp Stitchalot between the weeks of watching them to get a little R & R. I didn't get as much stitching done as I'd expected, but I did turn in a bit earlier and sleep in a bit later than I normally do. My DSIL and I did get a chance to make several stashing runs. We always hit Rocking Horse on the way into camp. They have got so many models on the walls, it is like dying and going to cross stitch heaven. I picked up a Shepherd's Bush piece kitted with one of their hand painted frames. The Year in Stitches series is older but I love the hand painted frames they do for all of them. Each year I've been trying to pick up one. We then make a run to Stitches N Things for another stash enhancing experience as well. I ended up with a few projects from Debs - Quietness & Confidence and this little witchy. Since Deb also brings part of her store up to the hotel, there is always a room full of stitchy goodies that you can go peruse anytime you need to stretch your legs. It is always so fun to see what pieces everybody else is working on. There is nothing that can sell a pattern faster than seeing it done up or in the process of being done. They always look so much better in person.

On Saturday, I spent a bit of time with the Red Thread series. I've almost completed the Ocean Voyage square. Mr. Black is graciously holding the edge of the fabric down so it didn't roll up when I was taking the picture.

Most of the weekend, though, I worked on Letters, Leprechauns, and Luck. I ended up pulling out the celtic cross because I felt it was too light. I then did it in 415, but that appeared too light as well, so it is now in there with a strand of 413 and a strand of 647. I was hoping for a hint of gray to make it stand out a bit, but I still wanted the greenish tint. This isn't exactly what I was looking for, but I'm done ripping it out for now. Saturday night was the big raffle. Deb had 61 different items donated by the designers that we could put in raffle tickets for. I so wanted the complete set of dinky dyes, but I didn't get them. I did, however, win a tote from the Gentle Art with some limited edition sampler threads. The tote also had the Blue Ribbon designs, Small Tokens of Affection pattern. I'm thrilled that I won something as usually I don't have much luck with those sorts of things.

Life should be back to normal Monday, so I should be able to get in a good rhythm with the amount of stitching time I'm getting in. I really want to rotate my palm piece back in so it gets some time and will hopefully get finished this year. My psyche though needs a smaller finish so I can get another happy dance.

Hopefully you aren't getting hit by this gigantic Spring storm. Weird, that a spring storm would bring snow, but at least it isn't sticking.

Cheers,

4 comments:

Pumpkin said...

Sounds like a heavenly weekend Kim! I've missed our stitching retreats for the past few years and I really miss going. You did really well with your WIPs but I'm disappointed you didn't post pictures of your new stash so I could drool ;o) Congrats on your win too. Is your bag burgundy with off white straps????

stitcherw said...

Stitch camp went by way to fast (as always). I'm already wanting to count the days till next year.
Sue

Dani - tkdchick said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend!!!

Sharon said...

Nice progress on your projects!