Saturday, March 27, 2010

Camp, SAL progress, and stash

My DSIL and I just got back from Stitches N Things Camp Stitchalot. We both made good progress on our SAL. Not only that, but for once it wasn't a virtual SAL!
I almost finished it off, but there is still a bit to go. So without further adeiu, here's the picture.
I didn't think real hard when I was picking the fabric. I figured that I wanted a white so the reds would pop without carefully noticing how much white is actually in this image. I'm hoping that once things are finished off in a flatfold that things look good. I'm playing right now whether to use bright white or the overdyed white for the red and white border around the lettering at the bottom. I still have to take some velcro to his beard to puff it up a bit.
On our way to camp, DSIL and I always do a round of stashing. First we went to Rocking Horse and were awed by their models. I ended up falling in love with the Lavendar and Lace Angel of Light. I've seen it there before, but for some reason it just called to me that day. I've always admired Age of Innocence, however, I've held myself back because a) it is a large project and b) it really screams to be done on black. I oogled it, but didn't feel compelled to buy. We then wandered over to the Stitches N Things brick and mortar store. I ended up getting the fabric and all of the floss needed for the Angel of Light. I knew that I wouldn't start it at camp, just because it is too big. Besides, I really had to stitch along on my SAL project ;). At SNT, I was looking at a Leaves piece done up on the wall. I held back and didn't get it. There would always be time to make another run back to the store during the weekend. A lot of the stitches will bring "unwanted stash" and leave them out for others to go through and grab as desired. Would you believe that I found the Leaves pattern and Age of Innocence in that pile!!! Most years I really don't see much that interests me; this year I hit the jackpot. I also found a picture of the Last Supper in a magazine that I picked up. I guess I must just be inspired, because I really don't know where I'm going to find the time for these large projects.

I got my Palm picture back from the framer right before camp. I am so thrilled with it. When I first got it, I couldn't wait to start it. It was a kit and contained aida. I really wanted linen, but I really wanted to start it too. So, I went ahead and started on the aida. I cannot tell you how many times, I kicked myself muttering about how it would look so much better on linen and that I wouldn't be happy. Well, let me tell you, I'm thrilled. I'm glad I stuck it out and didn't let it fall to the UFO pile.

I've ended up getting a job, so I'm not sure how much time I will be having to stitch, but we will see. I know I will need to be diligent about making the time, just to keep myself sane.

Cheers,

3 comments:

stitcherw said...

You are so much more organized than I am, I just got around to posting my camp entry. Hope your week went well and the job is going more smoothly. See you tomorrow.
Sue

Dani - tkdchick said...

Glad you had a great time at camp! Your palm looks amazing!

Pumpkin said...

Sounds like you and Sue had a wonderful time and I'm so jealous ;o) Your Santa is looking so cute! How lucky were you? I can't imagine stitching that AOI on black. Oye!

Your framed Palm is gorgeous Kim! You should be proud :o)